The hamster is a rodent that combines the characteristics of a mouse and a rabbit, but its shape is quite different from the shape of a mouse, and the most important characteristic of it is the lack of a tail and short ears and profuse hair.
Hamsters are animals that many people are keen to acquire and raise at home, especially since the cost of buying and caring for it is not high compared to some other pets.
Here are some tips on buying hamsters that you should know in order to raise this lovely little animal.
Tips To Know When Buying Hamsters
Hamsters in their diet need many nutrients from proteins, vitamins and minerals.
There are a number of important considerations to be taken into account during the feeding process, namely:
- The average food eaten by hamsters is about 15 grams of dry foods.
- It is also necessary to provide adequate amounts of protein in the food for the hamster, while avoiding increasing it a lot, that will get negative effects and problems in the kidneys.
- You have to diversify your hamster food so that it has all the nutrients it needs.
- You should always supply fresh food, so don’t give them food from the day before.
- Make sure to always provide clean water in order to prevent other health issues.
Tips Before Buying a Hamster
There are a number of important principles to consider before buying a hamster:
1. Consider their own age, so that you do not buy very young or very old hamsters, but must choose the appropriate age during the purchase process, so that the age of not less than three weeks, because young ages may be subjected to self-death because they can not feed itself.
2 – the right time during the purchase, is to buy it after sunset, As a nocturnal animal that sleeps all day long, and start its activity in the night hours, and therefore you can stand on its health’s state, and you know whether it is suffering from some diseases or not.
3 – during the purchase process, it is preferable to bring a small cage to put it, taking into account not to leave it for a long time in it because it will lead to suffocation, especially if the cage is in small size and low ventilation.
4 – must choose a healthy hamster, and away from buying sick or wounded species even at half the price, because this leads to the transmission of infection to all people around him and leads to many negative and bad effects of that.
5. Make sure that the eyes of the hamster are bright and shiny, and that the fur is clean, dry and not wet at all, because these signs are clear evidence of good health.
6- The hamster’s nose should be free of any impurities, and his body should be completely covered with hair, so it should be thoroughly examined to make sure there are no hair-free areas.
7 – There are a set of tools that must be purchased with the hamster, including the cage, which is available from many types, which are made of wire and made of plastic, and each of these types of their own advantages and disadvantages, which is left to the owner to decide .
8 – Sawdust, which is placed at the bottom of the box, where it works to absorb the bad odors, and there are other tools required by the purchase process, including the wheel and some toys, as well as food, which is provided to it on a daily basis.